Saturday, November 08, 2008

NaBloPoMo 8 of 30

It’s that time of year again, when Target puts out its Christmas decorations and people start complaining that it's all much too early. For me, though, the holiday season is welcome. It’s at this time of year that I get my lists in order. That I help my boys with their fundraising wreath and greenery sales. And that I sign up to sponsor some people who need a little help making the holidays merry and bright. It's the liberal in me, I guess, sharing the wealth and all.

This is something I have deliberately worked on as my boys have grown up. I want to instill in them that we need to keep in mind that not everyone is as lucky as we are to have so much. How does that saying go? To whom much is given, much is expected. No, that's not quite right. It's missing a word somewhere. You know what I mean. I'll google it to figure it out (or one of you will tell me.) With great gifts comes great responsibility? No, that's not it either, but I am getting closer.

Anyway. Every year we buy presents for aunts, uncles and cousins – and for “our family.” Every year, "our family" is different, and the boys always participate in the discussions of what would be good to get, and they help with the actual shopping as well. When we have to buy for a 10 year old boy it's easy for them, but I like it when they have to stretch their imaginations - like they do this year, to buy for a 4-month old girl.

This year we are signed up with the joint efforts of Lutheran Social Service and Catholic Charities in their Sponsor A Family program, and with the Aliveness Project Holiday Basket program. We did both of these last year, too. The Sponsor a Family is just that - you give gifts and groceries and gas cards to a family. The Aliveness Project assists people living with AIDS, with gift baskets, stockings, and meals.


I’m including the links to these programs (click on the logos) in case you are motivated to join the holiday spirit of giving – but there are hundreds of opportunities all across the nation – just take a couple of minutes to search on your area.

I think this anonymous giving is one of my most favorite part of the holidays.

No comments:

Blog Archive