Wednesday, November 05, 2008

NaBloPoMo 5 of 30

What's the opposite of Warm Fuzzy?

Because that's what I am feeling about California's Prop 8 today. Two other states also passed bans on gay marriage, but of the three, California differs in that its Supreme Court had previously determined that marriage is legal and a constitutional right for all adults, regardless of sexual orientation. Over 5000 gay couples have been married in recent months and all of them are sitting at home tonight, wondering if their marriages have been dissolved, and what, if anything, they can do about it.

I can understand people not approving of homosexuality. I can understand churches choosing to not acknowledge, allow, or condone gay marriage. What I cannot understand is the logic behind statements that gay marriage harms or destroys heterosexual marriage. What I cannot understand is the refusal to adopt a "live and let live" credo. What I cannot understand is the attempt to use the constitution to discriminate, instead of to protect from discrimination.

I believe this proposition will be challenged, will be brought back to the Supreme Court, and will be removed from the California constitution. But it's disappointing to me that it is happening at all.

No comments:

Blog Archive