Wednesday, November 05, 2008

NaBloPoMo 5 of 30

Warm-Fuzzy Election Day Story

I was talking to my mom a little while ago, hearing about their election night experience, and she shared with me that my dad was a little bit of an election day hero yesterday. My folks live in a small town in the northern part of the state. This year my dad decided he needed to be more politically active, so he volunteered to do some door-knocking in the days leading up to the 4th. Then, his "boss" asked if he would also go around ON election day, reminding people to vote. (Seems odd to me, but I guess there might be someone who woke up and thought it was still Monday or something. I mean, it's not as if I always know what day it is at any given moment.)

Anyway, he knocked on the door at one house, and it was opened by an elderly woman who responded sadly when he asked if she had voted yet. She said her daughter was supposed to drive up and take her to the polling place, but the daughter was ill and couldn't make it.

So my dad said he would take her. He said the look on her face was incredible - she was amazed that he was willing to take the time to do that for her! So off they went. Turns out her eyes aren't what they used to be, so he had to confer with the election judges to figure out how to best help her with the ballot (they agreed that he could read it to her) and then they discovered she wasn't registered for some reason, so he assisted her with that, as well (thank goodness our state allows same-day registration!)

When she was all done, my dad drove her home, and shortly thereafter he returned home, as well, feeling good that he was able to assist someone on this important occasion.

And today, I am feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, proud of my dad!

1 comment:

shawn said...

WOW!! What a great story.. and to think it's your Dad!! A warm fuzzy for sure!!

Blog Archive