Sunday, November 02, 2008

NaBloPoMo 2 of 30

This is the weekend before the election. The election that could change everything in the world. Well, maybe not EVERYthing, but a lot of things.

So I thought I would take the opportunity to write about something important. Something which I think about nearly every day.

Socks.

Yes, you heard (read) me right. Socks. I gave away a pair of my hand knit socks today. I have never done that before. I gave a pair to Theo, the headmistress of Peace House Secondary School in Tanzania, (that's her over there <--- isn't she beautiful? ) because she is here in Minnesota for a Peace House Africa event, and because I wanted to give her something of me. Something I made, something which will remind her of me. Something personal, but not too personal. And I know her feet get cold.


I started knitting socks ... well, those of you who are faithful readers will remember my very first pair, done about a year ago. My friend the Knitting Queen (who, BTW, hasn't updated her blog in eons, not that I am keeping track...) brought me the yarn, the needles, and the pattern for my birthday last year, and I was off. I think I knit 7 or 8 pair in the months following my birthday, and they became the only socks I ever wanted to wear last winter.

See, I am funny about socks. You know how some people can't stand the tags on the inside neck of the shirts they wear? I am that way about seams in my socks. And wrinkles.

If I even see someone with socks that are twisted or wrinkled, my feet hurt. Seriously. How can anyone walk around with twisted socks? Or socks half pulled up? Or with bulky toe seams? (frankly just writing this and thinking about it is making me squirm. Really - I kid you not, my feet are feeling anxious right this very minute.)


So I have purchased many pairs of socks over the years that I just can't wear. They just don't fit right. When I knit my first pair of socks, though, whoa baby, they were amazing.

No seams. No wrinkling. Made to the perfect size for my feet. And cool, funky colors to boot.

True foot heaven.

2 comments:

shawn said...

She must be pretty specail. But I do remember you knitting socks.. and more socks.. and more socks...

Mama Ava said...

Did you make her cry? I bet you did, you heartless generous creature, you!

P.S. I want a pair, too!

Blog Archive