Tuesday, September 02, 2008

First Day of School!

Well, today was the boys' first day back at a "bricks and mortar" school after 5 years of being home. I dropped them off at 7:45, picked them up at 2:20.

SMILES!!! They both had smiles on their faces when I picked them up. PHEW.

Neither of them got lost. Both of them remembered their locker combinations and lunch codes. They made it to every class on time. They even enjoyed the lunch food (cheese pizza.)

They both enjoyed being with friends. They both have generally positive feelings about the majority of their teachers - one or two are on a "wait and see" status, no teacher was judged to be mean or cranky.

They both came home a little tired and very hungry. Neither had any homework, though there were a lot of forms for us to read together and sign. For the first time ever, they have to worry about percentages and grades! They have to guard against being tardy, or turning in late work. They have to get class assignments done in class, and homework done on time. And they have to be aware that their attitude could get them in trouble if it's not deemed acceptable!

I can't tell you how good it feels to see them so satisfied with their first day. When I dropped them off and drove away, I was a bit teary-eyed. No tears actually fell, but they were mighty close. I know the first day isn't a guarantee that it will all go well, but I am so thankful today was a good day, and that they are both game to go back again tomorrow.

2 comments:

shawn said...

Yeah!!! Hannah had a great day too! said she saw Ty but didn't talk to him.. Lots of smiles when I got home.. as Hannah now rides the bus to and from school!! Which is new for her.. She only rode the bus to school for 2 days in kindergarten.. and rode the bus home until 3rd grade..
Let's hope it lasts!!!

andalucy said...

Oh good! I'm so glad things went well. My children all seemed happy too.

Blog Archive