Saturday, November 25, 2006

Two Day Affair

(So many things to write about this morning!)

I heard something on the news last night that I am determined to turn in to a Peterson Family Tradition starting next year.

Make Thanksgiving a two-day affair.

Day one (Thursday) is for THANKS.
Day two (Friday) is for GIVING.

Celebrate Thursday the traditional way, with family and friends, reflecting on all we have been given in this life.

Then, Friday, do something concrete which gives to others. Shop for an "adopted family" for the holidays. If weather permits, shovel snow for someone who can't. Take a walk in a park and collect trash. Visit as many Salvation Army bell-ringers as you can find and give money to each. Visit a nursing home to spend time with someone who has no family to celebrate the holidays with. The possiblities are endless.

I love it!

3 comments:

andalucy said...

That is a really neat idea. It sounds like something you would think of, Karen.

Mama Ava said...

This does sound very Karen. And Lindsay. But not Ann or Carla who met for breakfast, shopped, ate lunch, and then a movie on that Friday.

Sad, isn't it? I'm now living in a developing country and I missed my Friday...I suppose the fact that I never buy anything but lunch and only browse doesn't make any difference...kind of like watching a robbery but not actually participating in it or something...I'm still complicit.

I'm just too shallow...

Karen said...

yeah, shallow like moving your family to a third-world country to help provide better opportunites for kids in need.

With shallow like that, who needs deep?

Blog Archive