Saturday, November 18, 2006


Today we went to see Happy Feet. Each boy got to invite two friends (we had to all be able to fit in the van, so they were limited!)
I have to admit it wasn't as good as I had expected it to be. And I realized as I was sitting there in the dark that a big part of why I didn't like it as much as I wanted to was becuase of the music! It was almost all music that was just, well, umm, too young for me! I didn't recognize nor find myself tapping my feet to many of the songs those cute little critters were singing. I felt quite ancient.
The thing I did find interesting, though, is that the story line of this movie is the penguins figure out (well, Mumble figures out) if they can get the aliens (aka humans) to realize they are there, the humans will care more about them and not hurt them by taking all their fish. In the movie, the penguins were shown doing what it is they do and people all over the world watched, entranced.
Hmm.
Kinda like "March of the Penguins." In fact, it was as if "March of the Penguins" inspired this film, to show the "background" of that documentary, from "the penguin's point of view."
Cynical me, of course, during the movie when Mumble is off trying to find the humans so he can dance for them, sat there thinking "in reality if it was discovered that Emporer Penguins danced like that, they would be whisked away from their homeland and placed in every zoo in the world, without regard to what was best for them."
But this is movie-land, so all ended happily! But it won't be on our "must buy" list when it comes out on DVD.

2 comments:

Mama Ava said...

FYI--I read a bit that said this was done before "March of the Penguins." Apparently, they're a fairly predictable lot, since an entertainment movie can so closely resemble a documentary!

And the Harry Potter trailer?

Karen said...

I'll let Shawn comment on HP; she is much more into those details (plus I was focused on splitting a bag of popcorn among 6 hungry boys ...)

Blog Archive