Thursday, November 23, 2006

Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving. ~W.T. Purkiser

This morning I have been thinking about Thanksgiving, and what I am thankful for. I wanted a quote - seems there are always people who manage to say what is in my heart much better than I do - and I found this one.

I like it because truly, saying "thank you for my health" is one-dimensional. Using that good health to be active and do good in the world is using the gift to its fullest, and showing respect for, and appreciation of, the fortune of having it.

"Thank you for my children." By raising them in to productive, generous, caring adults who can give more to the world than they take from it, I can turn my gratefulness into a donation to others.

"For the home I live in, the car I drive, the belongings I own, I am thankful." I try to open my home to guests, use my car as a means to do good things, and remember that material goods are simply things which can be shared, given away, and used as tools for my ability to be productive and generous.

"I appreciate my family and friends." I would not be who I am without family and friends. I hope that I convey my appreciation for all the love and support they give me by giving back to each of them whenever possible. Having family and friends around the world provides me with opportunities to put my feelings of appreciation into concrete actions. I know I don't do it often enough, and hope that I can show improvement before next Thanksgiving.

I am truly grateful for my intelligence, my talents, and my skills. So much in my life comes easily to me because of the unique combination of traits I have been blessed with. Again I realize that simply having them, but not using them to make the world a better place would be wasteful and, really, a shame.

One of my favorite verses is from the book of Luke. To whom much is given, much is expected. I take that literally and very seriously. On this day of Thanksgiving I am thankful for all that I have been given, and pledge to use each of those gifts to the best of my ability.

Happy Thanksgiving to each of you.

No comments:

Blog Archive