Friday, February 01, 2008

Where's the beef? In my basement!

Yesterday I bought 141 1/2 pounds of beef! Yup, you read that right.

A former neighbor emailed a while back with the offer to go in on the purchase of a cow. Her aunt and uncle have a farm, Prairie Horizons, and they sell their beef directly to hungry families.

The boys and I had our first pound of ground beef today for lunch, and it felt so good to be cooking and eating it. I talk the talk a lot about going organic, eating foods with less processing, eating more whole foods, and focusing attention on what I put into my body and my children's, but it's sometimes hard to be consistent with those intentions.

Now I can feel good that not only are we eating high-quality, non-chemically "enhanced" beef, but I also am so pleased to be supporting a local family-run farm. And with nearly 150 pounds of it in my freezer (that was a quarter cow, for those who are wondering) I won't have to buy any for a long time. I just sent an email to a neighbor farmer of these beef people, where I can get pork and chickens. I am excited at the prospect of not having to purchase any meat products from the grocery store!

My freezer is full and my heart is happy.

1 comment:

Mama Ava said...

Wow. You're going all, I don't know, I was going to say Montana on me! Imagine--a suburban gal with a 1/4 beef in the freezer. Now, you'd really be Montana if you'd mix in some elk, antelope, and deer in there. Maybe a bear or moose if you got lucky.

Or, you could hang it out in the sun and whack chunks off and be Tanzanian!

Blog Archive