Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'm flying high!

It;s 9:45 PM on Tuesday evening and I just got home from a League of Women Voters meeting where we showed the movie Iron Jawed Angels. We had about 60 people come see it - about 1/3 were high school students who were getting extra credit from their American History teachers - and afterwards I led a very quick "debriefing" about the film.

It was SO AWESOME.

The movie itself is powerful. It's the story of the women's suffrage movement in the early 1900's. It opens in 1912, and ends with the passing of the 19th Amendment in 1920.

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Powerful stuff, those 39 words. Women whose names I have only recently learned fought with every ounce of their beings to make those words into law.

And now 60 more people - mostly women - in Bloomington, MN have heard those words and have learned the struggles behind them.

And I am feeling pretty darn good right now!

5 comments:

andalucy said...

I'll have to check out that movie. Did you know that Utah was the first state where women could vote? However, that right was taken away when those women voted in support of polygamy. (oops!)

I love the PBS documentary Not For Ourselves Alone.

Karen said...

Actually Wyoming was the first state to give women the vote, though Utah was in the first 5 ... it's very possible, though, that Utah as a territory (pre-statehood) allowed women to vote - several territories did that earlier than Wyoming's state decision ... it's interesting to me that the states which gave women the vote first were all the states where women had to be working alongside with the men on the farms or ranches or wherever. None of the states which had made that decision before 1912 were in the east (Michigan was the furthest east.) Interesting commentary on men in the eastern states.

Mama Ava said...

...or interesting commentary on the men who either pioneered their way West or were the first or second generations of those men. I wouldn't say that women who lived out West were still considered "equal" but I would imagine the men would have an appreciation for the work they did and recognized the necessity of their efforts.

lisajoan said...

From the recap I sent to all the folks to whom I forwarded the invite:

Two words
HOLY CRAP!!

Wait three words…
Shocked my girls!!

Wait… four more…
I am not worthy!!

Wait…five more…
I am buying the DVD!

My daughters (18 and 14) were ASTOUNDED that this has not been ratified! "How can we be looking at having the first African American President and STILL not have women's rights as a part of the Constitution of this country?!?"

From the mouths of babes~

Thanks for the invite, Karen!

lisajoan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blog Archive