Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Reality Show for Me

Finally, a Reality Show I could WIN. Unfortunately I didn't know about it until way after the players were selected ...

Oprah's The Big Give. Now, Oprah is not my favorite person, even though I do admire many of the things she does. This reality show is all about giving to the community - to individuals and organizations needing a little (or a lot of) help. I watched the first episode, and there were 5 teams of two -- each team had a "situation" where they just had to do whatever they could in 5 days to help. All of them involved raising money, but they also had the chance to bring in community, connections, publicity, and anything else.

And I could have kicked 4 of the 5 teams' collective butts :-) One team did an amazing job on their task, 2 did a really good job, and 2 were very close to being worthless (in fact, I suspect that Oprah did a little behind-the-scenes rescue operation on one team.)

It's all about coming up with a plan, spreading a wide net, and working REALLY REALLY fast.

Totally up my alley.

I'll have to be satisfied watching and knowing what I would have done in their places. And maybe it's just as well, because several times during the show Oprah is standing there looking at the groups saying things like "We'll see who the biggest giver is" when it's obvious that she finds it a rhetorical question, and she is expecting all of them to bow down to her and say "Oh, YOU are the biggest giver of them all."

And she is. But does she have to be so smug about it?

1 comment:

Mama Ava said...

See that's exactly how I feel about Oprah. Maybe when you do give so much you are entitled to blow your own horn, I don't know. I just know that for whatever reason it rubs me the wrong way, and I'm definitely in the minority.

Now, as to why you're not on the show (aside from the obvious you never sent in an application)you'd be a ringer...like a semi-pro player at a community softball game. I watched a charity silent auction once on The Apprentice and thought how you'd've kicked their collective butts, too!

So....why AREN'T you on one of these shows? And not those "stuck on an island or in the middle of nowhere" ones! :-)

Blog Archive