Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Two-headed Alien Baby of Sasquatch Eats Printing Press!

"Publisher American Media Inc. said on Tuesday it will stop printing the Weekly World News, which for 28 years gleefully chronicled the exploits of alien babies, animal-human hybrids and dead celebrities." Yahoo News

I saw this today and it made me mourn. I had a boyfriend many years ago who was a subscriber to WWN. He introduced me to the lunacy of its "news" articles, and we spent lazy afternoons reading out loud to one another and laughing so hard we couldn't go on. We actually had serious discussions, too, on where the writers got their ideas, and how many gullible people might actually beleive the stories.

Just a few months ago, Ben bought a copy and enjoyed reading it, cover-to-cover. It brought a smile to my face as I listened to him appreciate the humor and bizarre-ness of the paper. I wondered if a subscription might be a fun gift for him

Now it's not to be, though they will continue online. I'll have to make sure Ben knows the URL!

2 comments:

shawn said...

Ok, would this be what we "muggles" call the quibbler??

Yes Carla, I am a Harry Potter geek!

Mama Ava said...

I loved this magazine once in awhile. Cameron had the same reaction when he would read it, too. AND I used a lot of the articles when I taught a unit on news writing--how to analyze a report, how do you know what is fact, what makes a tabloid rather than hard news, etc. and then the kids wrote and put together their own version. It was fun unit!

Blog Archive