Monday, August 27, 2007

State Fair 2007!

It's that time of year again - my favorite annual activity is once again open for business :-)

And thankfully we went before my commitment to healthy eating!

The boys & I went on Saturday - it was a beautiful day and didn't rain (hurrah) and we did our usual gastronomic tour of the fair grounds. We decided on the way to the fair we would try something new this year, and I knew just what it would be.

On the radio I had heard Chef Andrew Zimmern, a local food celebrity, talk about something new at the Fair this year. He said he tried it with trepidation but ended up being very pleasantly surprised - and he said this with enough conviction to convince me to try it, too.

SPAM Curds. Battered, deep fried, hunks of SPAM with cheese, dipped in a robust ranch dressing. And you know what? They were pretty darn good! Not good enough to make me buy them again, but good enough that I ate most of them. Ty had 2 or 3, Ben just one-half of one (I am pretty sure it was the name that threw him, which I can totally understand - I think this is the first time I have ever tried SPAM, and I know my reluctance was not due to any known logical reason. It's just that it's, well, SPAM.)
We also did Pronto Pups, French Fries, Tom Thumb Mini-Donuts, Pizza, and .... there must have been more. We did NOT get out Sweet Martha's cookies - saving that for next time (we're going again on Friday.) Hmm, I will have to convince myself they are healthy. At least I know they are baked locally!

No comments:

Blog Archive