Sunday, July 15, 2007

Mama Safari

mama , pl mama { English: ma'am , pl ma'ams }noun, - [note: term of polite address used by younger men or women to older women, or by older men in positions of authority to younger women who are their subordinates (in and office, etc).]

safari , pl safari { English: trip , pl trips; journey; expedition } [derived: Arabic]

While in Tanzania, one of our drivers started calling me Mama Safari, and the name stuck. I kind of like it. Mama is not a direct translation for mother in Swahili, it is actually simply a polite way to address a woman, and safari means journey or travel ... so I take it as a name meaning something along the lines of "Woman on a Journey" or "Woman who Travels" .. either of which is nice, and appropriate for me at this stage in my life. (note I am deliberatly ignoring that part about it being used by younger men and women to an older woman ....)

1 comment:

Mama Ava said...

It can actually be used for any woman who is actually a mother. Otherwise you'd use the term "dada" for sister.

And custom dictates that you call the woman by either the oldest son's name or the oldest daughter (even if the daughter is not the oldest child). So I can be Mama Cameron or Mama Ava. Interestingly, in a culture where boys are always placed before girls, those who know my children will still call me Mama Ava more than Mama Cameron. I like it.