Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Cell phones at the airport

When my plane landed yesterday, I whipped out my little pink phone and called for my ride. What an incredible convenience that was. Then I called my mom just to say I was safely back in MN, since I had time. What fun that was.

But - when I got my luggage and cleared customs, I went to the area where arriving passengers are met, and I was so saddened by the sight of people talking on their cell phones and NOT jumping up and hugging whoever it was they were meeting. It happened often enough that I really noticed - and it made me really sad.

I used to get tears in my eyes nearly every time I went to the airport - for whatever reason. I would watch the anticipation on faces, see the joy burst through when initial eye-contact was made, and then see the love presented with hugs and smiles and kisses. It was very reassuring to me, seeing all that love everywhere I looked. Seeing all that joy brought tears to my eyes as I imagined how wonderful the reunited friends and family members felt.

Yesterday I saw a lot of busy people. Many, once they hung up the phones, had hugs to share, but it was really different. People were not solely focused on closing the distance between themselves and their loved ones. People were still caught up in the outside world, and the outside world was winning in the competition for attention.

Obviously some of those people had significant and important reasons to be on the phone. But I didn't cry at the airport yesterday, and that made me want to cry.

1 comment:

Mama Ava said...

I miss the pre-9/11 days of being able to greet people at the gate. Whenever I see it in a movie, I feel nostalgic for that anticipation of watching the plane roll toward the gate and checking out each face as the people depart.

I think airports are strange places--clearly they're meant to be cheerful and useful and keep you occupied while you're there. But it's a combination of that happiness and sadness, anticipation and regret that's related to people arriving and leaving.

I know that's how I'll feel next summer!