Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Wounded Warrior Returns

Well, I had my first Tae Kwon Do class tonight. As I left, Ty said "I hope you don't break anything, Mom!" How prophetic.

I didn't break any bones (mine or anyone else's) but I did break my glasses. I was learning how to get out of a bear hug (an unwanted one from behind!) and snapped my glasses right off my face. I do'nt know if it was the uniform or the lack of glasses but Colby seemed quite concerned about me when I got home, and came up to me seemingly to reassure himself that I was OK.
Here Ty & I show our best sparring stance! (note the crooked glasses on my face!)
I was so helplessly confused all night long. We were there for 75 minutes. The first 25 we did warm-ups and stretching, which wasn't too bad - I was sweating a lot but I could keep up with most of the stuff being asked of me, and felt pretty good. Then he divided us by ability - there are 3 of us newbies - or "no belts" as we are officially called - and started teaching us various things, none of which I could even try to tell you about here as I just don't remember! It all ran together very quickly. Master Ralph says I move just like Ty. We have the same problems and same difficulties with certain moves. However, Ty's getting pretty good, so hopefully I will start to catch on within the next month or so!
There are classes 5 evenings a week, and I can go to as many as I want to. We'll see how I feel in the morning!

2 comments:

andalucy said...

good for you, karen!

Mama Ava said...

Great shots! I am so jealous that you are actually doing something new for yourself! I always fall back on the "we can't afford it" or "the kids need my time" and pass it by. I'm wanting to the learn the violin, too, and draw, and I don't want to be a martyr mom. You're doing great!

Blog Archive