Wednesday, January 03, 2007

"It was here, in the Crater, that I bore witness to the reason Land Rovers were invented. The rains had created some rather large mud pits and made some roads impassable to any lesser vehicle. But, the Land Rover, in all its glory, forged those streams and glided through that mud with no problem. And any road judged a little iffy, we simply went around it. They really are amazing vehicles, and this is what they were made for – not the impeccable, paved roads of suburbia. That’s like keeping a wild animal in captivity. It’s cruel. "

Love that description! it's taken from the blog of a Peace Corps Volunteer in Tanzania, you can read more about her 5-day safari here.

I have often found myself thinking along those lines when I see all the huge SUVs roaming the streets of suburbia. I mean, I drive a mini-van, which is big enough, and I do love the feeling of driving a B - I - G vehicle - feeling like I'm queen of the road (watch out, mwahahaha). But honestly, I know the space is nice for large families, but the power and capabilities that those huge vehicles have - the Peace Corps comparison was one I had not thought of before but it just fit!

1 comment:

andalucy said...

I've taken on some pretty big curbs with the Expedition. Maybe that Peace Core lady needs to go driving with me, then she'd know that suburban SUVs are not suffering the cruel captivity she imagines.

Blog Archive