Friday, September 14, 2007

I'm disappointed ...

Are my standards too high? I have always thought of Jodi Foster in positive terms. She has avoided so many of the traps and entanglements so many child actors get caught in as they grow into adulthood. She is clearly intelligent, with her Yale (I think?) degree, and her control of her own career.


But lately ... I just don't get it. Her newest movie, The Brave One, is not a movie I would ever be inclined to see. In it, she plays a woman who is out walking the dog with her fiance, and they get mugged and beaten. The fiance dies, and I guess something in her snaps, as she buys a gun illegally and goes around shooting people. The "redeeming quality" is that she only shoots BAD people.

Now, I just read an interview with Ms. Foster and she is asked her opinion on guns - and she said she is very opposed to them and wishes the US had stricter gun control laws, and that she would never want her children exposed to guns.

Yet this is the movie she chose to make. She justifies it by saying it's "over the top", clearly not realistic, and it's what the market wants.

So I'm disappointed.

No comments:

Blog Archive