Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Schwarzenator Inspires Me

Well, who'd've thunk it?

I was watching The Apprentice tonight (one of my guilty TV pleasures that Miss Carla got me hooked on) and the reward for the winning team was meeting Governor Schwarzenegger. They asked him to talk about how he got to where he is today, and he shared stories of never giving up. And first off, you need to know that I don't particularly care for the man - as an actor, a politician, or, from what has been said about him, as a husband.

But.

He shared stories of his determination to not listen to the people who told him it was impossible, with his name and his accent, to make it in Hollywood, he talked about the temporary essence of pain but the lasting essence of succeeding, he reminded the group that every time there is an attack, there is a defense, and that if you can think fast enough you can beat anything that is thrown at you.

Probably all cliches and probably on another day I might have laughed, but tonight I sat there listening and thinking "he's right!" and imagining myself thinking really fast, and succeeding.

1 comment:

Mama Ava said...

I've never been a big fan, either (politically, at least--I will admit to loving a few of his movies) but around the time he was running for governor (or maybe it was when he was stumping for Bush this last time) I heard him speak about being an immigrant and what it meant to him to come here and make a successful go at life. I was surprised at how moved I was to hear him--it was very unaffected and didn't sound "packaged" and I'm betting it was very effective.

Sometimes I think we can look at someone like Arnold and see him how he is and forget that his past probably has a very strong impact on him still in terms of how he sees the world. Someone said something like that about working wtih Tanzanians here--those that have been educated in Europe or the US and have had many opportunities to work with Westerners. One of them said, "Yes, but you must remember. We were born in small villages in mud huts. To see us now you must not forget from where we've come."

Blog Archive