Friday, December 29, 2006

New Year's Resolutions

Do you do them? Resolutions, I mean. I do think of the new year as a fresh start, and as a logical place to make a change.

According to those who know, the majority of all Americans make the same 10 resolutions each year:
1. Spend more time with family and friends
2. Get in better shape
3. Lose weight
4. Quit smoking
5. Enjoy life more
6. Quit drinking
7. Get out of debt
8. Learn something new
9. Help others
10. Get organized

And, according to others who know, there are 5 key things to do to make your resolutions successful:
1. Create a plan.
2. Create that plan NOW.
3. Write down your resolution and plan.
4. Think "year round", not just New Year's
5. Remain flexible.

I would add a sixth -
6. Remember it's a journey, not a destination

Now.

What to do with all this information? I don't need to quit smoking or drinking, but all the other "top 10" are enticing. I am handling numbers 2, 3 and 8 all in one fell swoop by starting Tae Kwon Do in January - Ty, his teacher, and other parents have talked me in to giving it a shot. I don't think I need to tackle all 10 items on the list in one year, do I?

More to come ....

No comments:

Blog Archive