Friday, December 08, 2006

Feed My Starving Children

About a year and a half ago, I was at a Peace House meeting and one of the women said she couldn't stay because she had to go to "feed my starving children." I know her kids, and wondered aloud why they couldn't feed themselves, seeing as they are about 15 and 18. She looked at me like I was crazy ... and introduced me to the nonprofit organization, Feed My Starving Children, which is a Minnesota-based group working to end world hunger by creating and distributing dry food packets.

They have developed a nutritionally sound mix which, when mixed with boiling water, provides the needed nutrients and bulk to not only fill starving tummies, but also promote healing within the body to bring the children back to good health. For 14 cents per serving, they can feed a child a good meal. It's amazing when you think about it.

So we had the opportunity to go volunteer there on an MNVA field trip. We went once last year, and again yesterday. We wear hairnets and aprons and have a great time. Here are the boys at work:


Our group of about 20 people packaged about 700 bags - each bag feeds 6, so we made over 4200 meals yesterday. Hooray for us! I love that B & T had fun and are understanding how a little work on our end can make a significant difference in the lives of others.

No comments:

Blog Archive