Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Twelve Angry Men

Tonight I went to see "Twelve Angry Men" - starring Richard (John Boy) Thomas and George (NORM!) Wendt. It was amazing. I don't know why, but I have never read this play nor seen the movie version. I had a vague idea of what it was about - knew it was about a jury, knew it was a murder case - but knew nothing else.

The play (and this is the original Boardway cast, so it was amazing) is set in one scene, in one room, and with no intermission. In some ways it seemed so much longer than the 90 minutes it ran, in others it seemed to have just started and it was over.

Throughout the play I found myself thinking about the jury system, and how the concept of "reasonable doubt" really is a large part of what makes our country what it is. As I listened to the play, I thought a lot about how bad the accused boy's lawyer in this play was - but how wonderfully the jury was working, to do all the things that the jury is supposed to do in theory, but I suppose in reality it may not always work so well.

I have never been called to jury duty. I've always wanted to be. I hope that I would be able to do the job required in the manner it is meant to be.

1 comment:

Mama Ava said...

OK--right this very minute run out and rent "Twelve Angry Men". Henry Fonda is amazing! And don't bother with the updated version. I think it was a play before it was a movie. I would love to see it on stage.

And I think the jury system is a flawed system but one that does serve our country well. I'm proud, actually, of our legal system, even though I know there are times when it fails.

And for the record--you may be called to jury duty but you will never serve. You have way too many strikes against you--your husband is in politics, you have been politically active, you are smart...

I was called and sat for two weeks. Was called for 2 juries and excused as soon as I filled out the paperwork, which basically listed my name, age, family status, and occupations. So there you have it.

Blog Archive