Friday, April 13, 2007

Reading Update

Well, I have been trying to read a little more lately as it seems too many days have passed since I curled up with a good book for fun.

Last night I finished The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. It's the story of a man's life - starting when his parents were married in India (an arranged marriage) before moving to the US. It tells the story of his life as a first generation American, straddling the two cultures and trying to figure out where he fits in. Very well written, it's now also a movie but I don't really have a lot of interest in seeing it. I enjoyed the book but it didn't move me to want to know more.


I am reading a couple of Suze Orman books on finance and while I can't say I have learned much about how to manage money, I am enjoying her point of view about the attitudes one should have about money and finance in general.
Also on my nightstand recently have been a Nora Roberts romance (shameless escapism!), and The Non-Designer's Design Book by Robin Williams (no, not that Robin Williams. This one is female.) And maybe it makes me sound nerdy but I am really enjoying reading it - as if it were a novel - and seeing all the cool things she has to say about simple design techniques.


Then there is Leap Days, by Katherine Lanpher. Minnesotans may recognize her name - she used to be on MPR and also has been a columnist in the St. Paul Pioneer Press, but a few years ago she left MN for NYC to co-host with Al Franken on the radio there ... this book chronicles her decision to uproot everything in her life and move from the security of the midwest to the craziness of the east coast.


(I have to go look at my library account to see what else I have checked out right now ... )


Ooh, I have some goodies lined up to be read. Forever and Ever, Amen: Becoming a Nun in the Sixties, by Karol Jackowski. 1421: The Year China Discovered America, by Gavin Menzies. The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. Good Grief by Lolly Winston. The Tibetan Art of Living, and The Tibetan Art of Positive Thinking, both by Christopher Hansard. And Edith Wharton's The Buccaneers, recommended by Calandria.


Most of these are on my shelf now because I indulged in one of my very favorite pasttimes last week -- I went to Barnes & Noble with a pen and paper, and browsed the shelves for an hour, writing down the titles of everything that appealed to me ... then returned home, went online, and reserved them all from the library. One of the things I learned when I moved was that I really own a lot of books. Really. A LOT. So the library it is for me.


I want to get some Kurt Vonnegut. I don't honestly know if I have ever read any of his work (seems hard to imagine that I haven't, but I can't recall off the top of my head) but reading about his life and work this week makes me want to try it out. Will let you know. Anyone familiar with his work have a recommendation of where to start?


Enough writing. I want to go read. Tell me what you are reading now, so I can continue my list for when these are done.



Oh - and I am kindly reminded by the Barnes & Noble website ... only 99 days 'til HP7.

2 comments:

Mama Ava said...

Kurt Vonnegut...You can start with "Cat's Cradle" or "Slaughterhouse 5" which was based on his actual experiences in Dresden during the bombing in WW2. He's the kind of author that was great in college to read with others, but I've reread since I've been here and wasn't thrilled.

As a useless factoid--Kurt Vonnegut was for a period of time Geraldo Rivera's father-in-law. And had some colorful things to say about his daughter's choice in matrimony.

The best books I've read about money were on debt-free living. My favorite was *** (this is the gap where I should give you his name and title but I can't find it on Amazon or remember the name)
His plan goes so far as to figure out to get out from under your mortgage, but he does allow that even though it's a huge expense, if you can eliminate all debt but that you'll be so far ahead of the game. I was very good for about 3 months before backsliding. I did all cash--charged gas and groceries because I did Simon's and wanted to keep earning miles--but even gave up checks. I took cash out, put it in a little receipt thing that was labeled and off I went. It was really liberating to know that I didn't have to stress about buying something--but if I overspent and the money in that category was gone...then I'd be done until payday. The first month I borrowed from other categories that I knew I wouldn't use, but the next two months I didn't. Any leftover money in other categories, I put away. Had I kept it up it would have made a big difference. It definitely encouraged more thoughtful spending.

Karen said...

Well, I will just ask my favorite librarian if she knows of a great financial book called ***. I'm sure she will know just what I mean, especially when I tell her it's written by a man who encourages saving. That really narrows it down.

You've whet (whetted?) my appetite, the title better come to you in the night!