Saturday, July 18, 2009

Weekend Work

When Hillmans return to China later this month, I will be storing their van for them. In return for storage, I get to use it for runs to IKEA or other times I need a large vehicle to haul stuff or kids or dogs or kids AND dogs. But.

Here is my garage as of this morning:And another shot:
Hmmm .... not quite sure where that van is going to fit in. But I am determined ... so this morning after I took those pictures I started sorting, cleaning, and tossing. I have made tremendous progress in the past 3 hours (and I am starting to think I should never move again as I have too much stuff. Even after making a giveaway pile and filling my garbage can.)

Here is the give-away pile. The game board is one that the boys picked up 3 years ago at the neighborhood curbside pick-up. It's never made it into the house, we have no idea if it works or not (it has a plug) and we have no game pieces to use with it. The TV works but the remote doesn't. The microwave works great. The VCR plays but won't record. And the boxes are full of clothes and other assorted stuff. (If anyone wants any of this let me know soon!)


And then there is the final pile. The problem pile. See, I have had a thing for boxes my entire life. Perhaps it stems from moving every 1-2 years during my formative years. Perhaps at one point in my life I was threatened "if you can't pack it in a box you can't keep it." Or perhaps I am just odd. But I have real difficulty throwing away a perfectly good box. Or the bubble wrap or packing paper or styrofoam peanuts that come in some boxes. And now I am (hopefully) moving soon, so it really doesn't make sense to get rid of any of these, right?


My pile of empty boxes (it doesn't look that bad, but know that every box you see is filled with more boxes. I am efficient.) Sigh.

Hopefully tomorrow I will finish up and have some "After" shots to show you. I have another week until I need the space, but I want to take advantage of the cool weather to get it done now. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Mama Ava said...

You need to break those boxes down if you're going to store them.

And the next time you move, you should make the decision that if it doesn't go into that new house, don't keep it. Unless it is drop dead sentimental. I think we all fall into the trap of "well I might need this someday" or "it's a waste to throw this out" but it's not, really. And if you didn't use it in the last year, chances are you won't in the future.

shawn said...

hey you were just fine with all that "stuff" until you said you would store the van.. so I think that it would only be fair if Mark and the other Hillmans that are still here came and helped you clean out the garage!!!
just a thought...

Mama Ava said...

Hey, she WANTS the van. No one's forcing that woman to clean.

Btw, I do save peanuts, too. But not bubble wrap. That's just silly.

shawn said...

nice try Carla... I am like Karen... I really like paper ream boxes with the lids and all....

Mama Ava said...

The "get rid of" pile still looks a bit skimpy...

I hate doing this stuff, but I feel so so so good after!

Mama Ava said...

One last...

My mom had a big dishwasher box and she religiously saved every gift box of every size and shape, you know, just in case she needed one. She stored it in a shed and at some point apparently forgot about it. When it was time to take down the shed (which was on its last legs) she found her treasured box of boxes. When we opened it...every single box had been shredded by generations of squirrels who used it as a love nest. At least someone used the boxes