Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Grandma's Marathon

Another fun year of volunteering! There were nearly 10,000 runners this year, and we went through about 1000 cups of ice at the 3-mile mark. This was a bit high, as the weather was quite hot and muggy. I was really glad not to be running!
Here are my parents, before the race started.
And here is a shot after all 10,000 (give or take) have gone by. I love Grandma's Marathon runners. Granted, I haven't volunteered at other marathons so maybe this is true everywhere. So many runners thanked us for helping out. And so many went out of their way to throw their empty cups into the garbagae cans. Of course the cans couldn't hold all the cups, and many just dropped the cups - as we would expect them to.
But with rakes and push brooms and all the volunteers working together, the entire area was cleaner than when we started, less than an hour after the racers were gone. And we were back home by 9:00, feeling like we had put in a good days' work by our usual rising time!

2 comments:

Mama Ava said...

The after picture looks a lot like the streets of Tanzania--just substitute plastic bags and plastic water bottles!

As you'll soon see.....

Sue said...

Fab photos Miss Karen, love them, keep 'em coming...
I miss Duluth, I need a road trip..
Safe travels my friend!