Monday, October 09, 2006

Powerful Words

"You can rationalize inaction by deciding
that one voice or one vote doesn't matter...

or you can make the choice that inaction is unacceptable"


--Christopher Reeve


I just found this quote on another blog, that of a Peace Corps volunteer in Tanzania.

It's hitting me hard, resonating deep within me. I'm not sure yet what to say about it. I recognize myself in the first half of the quote and I am ashamed. (and Carla, do NOT write a missive about the things that I do do. I know I do a lot. But I know there is a lot more I could do. This is entirely a self-evaluation, not a fishing expedition for reassurance or compliments.)

How often do I say to myself that it really doesn't matter if I don't act on something that bothers me. I recently got an email that said something to the effect of "I don't want to wake up the morning after the election and think, 'oh if I had just tried a little harder' - do you?" And that hit me - hard - yet I did nothing.

If I wake up the morning after the election and the candidates I support lose, the way things stand right now I will know that I did not do my part. (Of course if they win I will be off the hook. )

Inaction is unacceptable.
Inaction is unacceptable.

I'm off to act.

No comments: