Sunday, July 30, 2006

Written in New York Times, Happened in Minnesota

As reported in the New York Times July 30, regarding Reverend Gregory Boyd of Maplewood, MN. An excerpt:

“America wasn’t founded as a theocracy,” he [Boyd] said. “America was founded by people trying to escape theocracies. Never in history have we had a Christian theocracy where it wasn’t bloody and barbaric. That’s why our Constitution wisely put in a separation of church and state.

“I am sorry to tell you,” he continued, “that America is not the light of the world and the hope of the world. The light of the world and the hope of the world is Jesus Christ.”


What made it really interesting for me is that this is a Baptist, Evangelical preacher, and he lost 20% of his congregation over these (full) remarks. I can't tell you how reassuring I find his candor.
Click here for the full article.

1 comment:

Mama Ava said...

I just read this online and found this man to be so refreshing! I am often drawn to a much more conservative approach to faith, but I can't ever get past the fact that any social or political view I hold puts me on the "dark side" with conservative Christians. I am amazed he's still working, but I definitely admire his willingness to preach from his heart.