Wednesday, June 28, 2006

More on Heroes

I've been thinking about my personal definition of 'hero' since that last post. I realized that I am more a believer in heroic acts than heroes, per se - if there needs to be a differentiation between the two. What I mean by that is that I admire people for doing great things but I don't always expect their entire lives to have been admirable. Now I can hear my mother laughing at that, as I have certain authors I will not read, or actors whose films I will not see, as I find some aspect of their lives reprehensible. So I guess I have a bit of a double-standard there. If you do something I disapprove of, it's hard to get back on my good side. But if you do something I admire, I can overlook other parts of your life that aren't so rosy. And of course, I hope it goes without saying, that this is all in my opinions of famous people I will never meet or know!! This is not the standard to which I hold my friends, family and neighbors!

Jimmy Carter - make that Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter - definitely make my list. What a humble, selfless and giving couple they are. From their commitment to Habitat for Humanity, to The Carter Center, their nonprofit dedicated to "waging peace, fighting disease, building hope" ... incredible people dedicated to doing everything they can to make the world a better place. I love waging peace. What a great word. Deliberate, forceful, commited.

Dictionary.com: hero - A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life

I like the "nobility of purpose" part of the definition. That's what I look for in my heroes.

No comments:

Blog Archive