Thursday, June 18, 2009

Job Hunting

Hey all ... for the past few weeks I have been seriously job hunting. I figured out that this "no freelance clients = no income" gig I have had going for the past 6 weeks is not a good long-term strategy for life. Who knew?

I have been doing freelance work since the divorce, so about 2 1/2 years, and it has been absolutely perfect. I started it so that I could be with the boys whenever and wherever they needed it, with total control over my schedule. Clients magically appeared, projects were fun and interesting, money was great, life was good! Then, recently, that all changed. Clients stopped calling as they struggled to keep their businesses afloat - who has money for outside freelancers? And I found myself less and less interested in seeking out new clients. What I started longing for was a job that I could drive to, work at, leave, and not think about until I drove back again. Something that would not consume my weekends and evenings and something that would give me days off.

Coincidentally this started around the same time as I was developing another interest to fill all those other hours. Hmmm ....

Anywho. I have kept my RN license current lo, all these many years, for situations exactly such as this. I dusted it off, updated my resume, and, through the wonders of Craig's List and the MN Council of Nonprofits, I found oodles of jobs online, and sent off my most beguiling cover letters and resumes to about a dozen different places.

Two responded. Two. What is this world coming to where they can't even email a note that says my application was received? Geesh. I know, from talking with many others, that this is just the way things are these days. But still. Talk about frustrating.

So one of those who responded eventually turned into an interview, and then another interview, and news that I was one of two finalists and she really wanted to hire us both but just couldn't ..... and then I heard that she chose the other finalist.

But. In the meantime, I had also applied for a position at Planned Parenthood, but was told that the position was already offered to someone else. So my timing was lousy. But - then just last week I applied for a different position with PP, and they told me that the nurse hired for the position I initially wanted didn't work out, so now that was open, too. So I went for an interview on Tuesday of this week, then back for a second one on Wednesday this week, and I have to meet one more person and (hopefully) impress the heck out of her, too, in order to be offered the position that I want. They are already doing a background check on me, which, I was told, they do "on all our new employees." Not "all our prospective employees."

I am so very excited about this job. It is perfect for me. I have learned over the years (thankfully I have learned something!) that it's important for me to have my professional life in sync with my personal life. This is why I have devoted most of my professional life to non-profit work. The mission, the cause - they have to mesh with my personal beliefs and values.


And ... once I have steady income, house-hunting can start again in full force!

3 comments:

Mama Ava said...

I don't care about "these times"...I am absolutely baffled that you have to do anything to get a job! You are the most capable person at anything you lend your hand to!

I am confident that this is the ONE, even if you have to keep impressing different people to do it!

I can tell, though--this is going to wreak more havoc on our imming.

premenopaws said...

Good luck! Sounds like a perfect fit for you.

Dawn said...

I just don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life I guess....Here's to the job hunt. Hope you get the one you want at PP>